David Ward Printing - Specialising in bespoke gold foil business cards - email: [email protected]
Above are examples of the different options of BLIND EMBOSSING – shown on Pristine white Colorplan 540gsm.-LEFT: Blind Embossed – the image is pushed up from the back and requires 2 dies, male and female. There is an extra cost for the embossing – it isn’t possible to emboss FINE DETAIL on the thick (540gsm) card – unless the image is bold a thinner card would need to be used for embossing i.e. 350gsm Colorplan.
Please take the time to read this information to avoid future misunderstandings and delays
LETTERPRESS FOIL & EMBOSSED/DEBOSSED BUSINESS CARDS - INFORMATION SHEET
1. PROCESSES. Embossing/debossing: The term ‘embossing’ is often generally used to refer to various techniques. For these cards (to keep it simple), I use this term to cover the letterpress process, which is content indented into the card. This can be done with various colours of foil, clear gloss foil, or ‘BLIND’ (no colour). The deepest impression can be achieved for a logo or for large type by using a blind emboss/deboss - blind embossing/debossing is one of my favourite techniques. Please see gallery page at www.davidwardprinting.co.uk for examples. I do not offer the kind of embossing where printed type is raised up on the card, this is often actually ‘thermography’ mistakenly called embossing by some print re-sellers. Certain logos can be raised if no colour (blind embossed) - or a combination of debossed and embossed which I call “de-embossed” where part of an image is pressed into the card leaving certain parts raised up, as in photo number 4 on DWP gallery.
2. Letterpress Foil & Blind Ebossed/Debossed Business Cards - extra thick - natural texture (540gsm uncoated) minimum quantity 100 cards. The extra thickness and texture of these cards is immediateley apparent and sets them apart from all the cheaper/thinner mass-produced options. As a comparisan most business cards are only 300gsm to 350gsm.
3. Pricing*: Unlike other printing processes (cmyk digital/litho) each colour on either side requires an extra “pass” through the machine and will add to the price.
Clear gloss foil or blind debossing counts as 1 colour.
Discounts: I don’t usually offer discounts as to the best of my knowledge nobody is offering a lower price for this quality - but if you do find a lower price for the same specification please let me know and I’ll aim to match or beat it. I do offer a discount on additional set of 100 or 200 cards for various staff members.
4. Standard size: 85mm x 55mm - special sizes are available at extra cost.
5. Card / Samples: We use only Colorplan card as I feel this is the best available for letterpress foiling (weight 540gsm) - this is considerably thicker/heavier than “normal” business cards and is a natural grained (uncoated) matt card. My stock colours are: Ebony Black, Dark Grey, White and Ebony/White (duplex) - all other Colorplan colours are available at extra cost (£25). If you would like a sample card please tell me the card colour you want - card colours can be seen on GALLERY page at www.davidwardprinting.co.uk (photo number 1). Due to the bespoke nature of the manufacturing process there can be a normal variation in shade/texture/rigidity in different ‘makings’ of Colorplan card.
6. Timescale: From receipt/approval of artwork/payment approx 7/10 full working days. Non standard sizes or special order colours can add a few days to turnaround. Due to the bespoke nature of these cards we are not able to give exact delivery dates - timescale is approximate. Please reply to emails asap to avoid delays. Choosing a ‘stock’ colour will avoid delays.
Deadlines: if you have an absolute deadline please tell me straight away to see if it’s achievable an to avoid disappointment.
7. Design/artwork/typesetting: Simple/minimalist designs tend to work best for this kind of business card. Various examples of debossed and foiled cards can be seen on my GALLERY page. I can produce typesetting to your instructions for a small extra charge.
Please feel free to email and request our ARTWORK GUIDE PDF for required specs. etc.: